Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Car quilting

We took a short drive yesterday to survey the damage to the neighborhood after Superstorm Sandy. By some miraculous feat, we escaped with minimal property damage and we still have electricity. Most others were not so lucky. Just driving around was a challenge because so many local roads were blocked or closed due to downed power lines or trees, that by the time we made it home again, G had fallen asleep in the car. I had nothing else to do (school has been canceled for 3 days), so I ran inside and grabbed by sewing kit, and sat and sewed in the car for a while. The sun came out, it was really nice.
Sandy forced everything to slow down for a while, and while I know the headaches and recovery will take a while for some people, I'm grateful for the time I got to spend at home with my family.

6 comments:

  1. So what is that yummy little thing you are working on?? I hear ya about slowing down, it has been nice to sit by candlelight these pat couple of days. But I'm done now! Could someone please turn on the lights?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Jessica!! I was thinking about you since you live in that region , I am glad you are well and had little damage to your property , the photo is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it through okay! My parents are still without power, but luckily minimal property damage. I'm getting nervous as they're running out of battery power on devices and we'll soon lose touch with them. I'm in Oklahoma. :*(

    And...I too have been known to car quilt while the little ones nap. lol Nice to know I'm not the only one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been working on my quilt in the car and at ball games all year. It is amazing what you can accomplish in 50 miles.

      Glad to hear you are safe:)

      Delete
  4. I have done that very same thing myself! Glad to hear you made it through the storm OK. I hate that so many people are suffering so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh my heart goes out to you over there. I rather think we could all learn a great deal from how folks manage and come to terms with aftermath, like Sandy's trail. Time to re-evaluate life and needs generally. All the best.

    ReplyDelete

Free Zoom Quilt Class, October 20.

    Free Live Online Craft Class Learn to quilt with Jessica Wed., Sept. 9 Tues., Oct., 20, Nov. 9 7:00 – 8:00 pm Sign up now.   Take one or...